Topic: Programmer Wanted for Doom3: RoE[CC] Project (PAID)
Announced via http://gamescc.rbkdesign.com/
Programmer Wanted for Doom3: RoE[CC] Project
Games[CC] started a closed captioning mod for Doom3: Resurrection of Evil when it first came out. To finish the mod, we require a programmer with the qualifications listed below who would enjoy adding closed captions to Doom3: RoE. There is a cash “prize” upon completion of the mod (details below).
- $75.00 USD upon completion of project via personal check or PayPal
- Games[CC] T-shirt (free)
- Experienced C++ programmer
- Familiar with game programming
- Able to take direction and stick to a plan
- Confident communicating in English
- Can finish work started
- Proactive in solving problems
- Strong problem solving skills
- Uses email weekly and maintains communication with Games[CC]
- Doom3/Quake4 SDK knowledge
- Enjoys helping others in need
Checklist for Completion
- The mod can be loaded via a batch file for Doom3: RoE
- The mod can be loaded from the mods menu in Doom3: RoE
- Closed captions appear during gameplay for the entire game
- Closed captions appear during cinematics for the entire game
- Dynamic Closed Captioning system uses a robust algorithm to ensure no important sounds are missed or cut off prematurely
- The Visual Sound Radar accurately displays where the sounds are originating from
- There are menu options as seen in Doom3[CC] to configure closed captioning
- SFX on/off
- dialog on/off
- Visual Sound Radar on/off
About Closed Captioning
http://gamescc.rbkdesign.com/arti-views … _games.php
Games[CC] is a dedicated group of captioners, translators, artists and programmers who mod existing games to add closed captioning to them. While most games (but not all) include sub-titles for dialog, many do not caption the sound effects from weapons or enemies. Adding closed captions helps hearing impaired and deaf players to experience the game as intended by being aware of the sound clues and information they may miss without the use of closed captions.
Games[CC]'s first completed project is Doom3[CC] which in addition to adding closed captions also features a unique visual sound radar. This visual sound rader gives players an approximate idea of where a sound is coming from by vaguely indicating distance and direction. The Doom3[CC] comes complete with:
- 5 languages (English, French, German, Portuguese and Spanish)
- Options to turn on captions for both dialog and/or sound effects
- Most dialog and sound effects captioned
- Visual Sound Radar
The mod has received critical praise, been featured on cover discs for UK's PC Gamer and was also nominated for the IGF Choice Award for Best Doom3 Mod of 2005.
About Reid Kimball
Reid is currently a Designer at LucasArts. He is also hearing impaired and as a gamer he uses his free time to develop examples of closed captioning in games to educate and encourage developers to included closed captions in games. He designed the Dynamic Closed Captioning system.
About Dynamic Closed Captioning system
Developed by Reid Kimball, the DCC system is the brain that controls how closed captioning works for his modifications. Using external files, a priority queue and an algorithm, it efficiently decides which sounds are most important and ensures those sounds get captioned for the gamer to see.